Thursday, August 16, 2012

Around the world in 80 days

Okay...well not really around the entire world, but by the time I got to New Zealand and back home again I had traveled over 2/3 of the earth's circumference. Plus I had seen a great deal of the north island during my stay, so I think the title still stands. This will be my last New Zealand blog (maybe there will be another if I visit again someday) and covers my last week of work, traveling home, and some final reflections on the entire experience. Thank you everyone who read this and provided me with feedback throughout my stay. I received very positive comments and I am grateful I was able to share my experiences with family and friends at home.  

Tuesday, August 07, 2012
Yesterday was my day off after two weeks of 50+ hours work. I am thankful to have had the day to catch up on a few things: sleep in, my blog, begin my final internship report, some shopping, and finally baking.
River on the road to town
Case IH and John Deere are well represented over here!
Last night Mount Tongariro (AKA Mount Doom in Lord of the Rings) erupted. It was not a large eruption with lava spewing everywhere, but it sent a cloud of ash 1 km in the air and was enough to cause concern for further volcanic activity as well as cancel many flights throughout the north island. Hopefully it won’t cause an issue when I try to fly home next week! 
Mount Tongariro - taken from the Desert Road during my vacation a week ago before the eruption
This morning it was nice and sunny. I was at the farm at 7:30 AM and started by riding a bike across the road with Sam while Becs and Bong took the white ute pulling the large calf trailer. We drove over to the paddock of springer cows to collect the fresh cows and their calves – 10 in total! Once we had the calves in the trailer and their mothers across the road to the cow shed, it was time to go get the cows and calves from the other paddock of springer cows near Josh and Becs’s house. I drove the white ute and trailer there while Sam, Drew, and Josh took their bikes. We picked up 10 new calves in that paddock as well. I took the calves back to their shed where Josh and I unloaded them.
Springers across the road

Collecting more new calves!
When Sam and Drew got done driving the springer cows to the feed pad, we drove over to paddock 72 where the springer heifers were moved to yesterday. There were only 2 calves waiting for us so we picked up the calves and sorted out their mothers to take the back to the cow shed.

After lunch I walked outside to drive back to the farm and could smell the sulfur in the air from the eruption last night. You could even see the haze from the ash cloud over the mountains. When I returned to the farm I found Hamish treating a cow with severe swelling in her third eyelid. There was a small open sore in the middle that looks like it was caused by something sharp or irritating, but you could still see the eye behind the swelling. Hamish decided to use an antibiotic eye cream and see how it looks by Friday. I watched Hamish begin working on pulling a dead calf from a cow and then had to leave the vet area for the cow shed. During the afternoon milking, I had to:
·         Draft 80 autumn calved cows from Herd 1 and place 50 in Herd 2 and the rest in Herd 3
·         Take note of how many cows in each herd – counted by the automated drafting gate, thank goodness!
·         Draft any spring calved cows from Herd 2 and put back in Herd 1 (sometimes they go into Herd 2 accidentally but they need to be in Herd 1 to be sure they get enough to eat)

Wednesday, August 8, 2012
My first job this morning was to dust (using Cal Mag) the grass in the following paddocks that the cows will be eating today: springer cows in paddocks 8 and 13, colostrum cows in paddock 44, and the pennos in paddock 34. When I was done I entered breeding dates, health events, and calving dates into the farm computer software MINDA at the office. At 12:30 PM I had a meeting with Campbell Chard, the general manager for BEL Group, to discuss my internship and the possibility of getting more UW students to come over here to work for BEL Group.

After lunch I returned to the farm at 2:30 PM and finished entering data. Next I shifted dry cows in paddock 79; they are supposed to go to the BEL Group dry stock division soon for grazing off the farm because they are not due to calve until October. I dropped off two new calves to the calf sheds that were born in the vet area. I also dropped off a new heifer calf in the calf shed after I chased her down in the colostrum cows’ paddock. My last job for the day was to go shift the Herd 1 cows in paddock 19 another 35 paces so they had more to eat.
Heifer calves enjoying their time in the sun
I cannot believe I will be leaving New Zealand in one week! Due to the eruption on Mount Tongariro, all flights throughout airports on the north island were cancelled yesterday. Thankfully I was not trying to leave yesterday and flights are going as scheduled now. I am looking forward to getting home but am trying to enjoy every moment as much as possible during my last week here.

Thursday, August 9, 2012
We collected ~30 new calves this morning!

Becs, Sam, and I went across the road put 7 new calves in the trailer. Drew came to help Sam and I on our bikes drive the cows back across the road to the cow shed. Next Sam, Drew, and I drove to paddock 13 where we collected 14 new calves. We drove these springer cows to the feed pad and then went to get the new calves from the heifers in paddock 72. There were 5 new calves there plus 2 heifer calves that were already in the trailer from the vet area. We sorted out the heifers that had calved; Drew and Sam drove them to the cow shed while I unloaded the calf trailer. On my way home to lunch (I took a bike) I counted at least two other calves in the pasture.
Sorting through springer cows in paddock 13
I returned from lunch at 1:45 PM and spent my afternoon milking with Sam and Elmer. After milking the first 3 herds Rhox took over for me and I was done for the day.

Friday - Sunday, August 10-12, 2012
Wow what a weekend…I am not sure where it went but it was filled with lots and lots of calves…about 40 new calves per day! I was busy with getting cows and calves, moving cows, shifting fence reels, and milking cows each day. Saturday the weather was beautiful, sunny, and warm but then of course it rained all day Sunday. Saturday morning I treated 2 fresh cows for milk fever and had to treat one of them again on Sunday morning. Although I am looking forward to going home, I am not looking forward to the next few days of saying goodbye to the people and places that have been my life for the almost the past 3 months.
Finally - a picture of my on the bike!
Monday, August 13, 2012
Today was a weird day if I can say that. I started off at my normal time by dusting today’s grass for the cows in paddock 13 and the colostrums. It took me longer than it should have though when I lost the pin to keep the duster spreading the Cal Mag. After looking around for it I knew I was not going to have any luck finding it so I drove back to the cow shed where Josh found a bolt for me to use temporarily. Once I was done dusting I pushed Herd 2 cows from the cow shed back to their paddock. It started raining a bit here and there throughout the morning too so of course everything seems to go slower in the rain.

After lunch I entered more calving information into the MINDA farm software. Within the last week we have had over 300 calves! Next I helped move some cows around in the vet area for Rhox to be able to treat more lame cows. When I finished helping Rhox I was done for the day.

Date
Number of cows due to calve
Actual number of cows calved
7/26
0
9
7/27
22
20
7/28
25
15
7/29
17
24
7/30
17
7
7/31
0
8
8/1
1
23
8/2
0
24
8/3
17
16
8/4
42
39
8/5
120
40
8/6
24
46
8/7
26
30
8/8
31
26
8/9
32
43
8/10
33
49
8/11
26
49
8/12
29
39
8/13
32
24
8/14
42
49

Tonight Josh, Becs, and I drove to Sam and Rachael’s house for supper. Rachael cooked dinner and Becs brought dessert – apple and rhubarb crisp. It was a great evening with great food and wonderful people I have gotten to know during my stay, including Justine my internship coordinator. I hope tomorrow is a memorable last day at work. I am still not looking forward to saying goodbye.

Tuesday, August 14, 2012
LAST DAY OF WORK!!!

This morning started out gathering today’s fresh cows and their calves, as usual. Sam and I rode our bikes while Becs took the white ute with the calf trailer across the road to the springer cows. We collected 17 new calves! By the time we had the fresh cows sorted from the rest of the group Drew arrived to help us take the cows back to the shed. Next Sam, Drew, and I went out to the other springers in paddock 13 where we collected another 15 calves! I had to treat a milk fever cow when we got out there but she got up right after I finished getting the second bag of calcium into her. Once we had all of the calves Sam and Drew went back to the sheds to unload and I drove all of the cows to the shed. My last job before lunch was to get Herd 1 cows from paddock 34 and drive them to the feed pad.

At 1:45 PM we had our weekly staff meeting. Afterwards Drew, Becs, and I did more springer drafting across the road in another mob of dry cows on pasture. We sorted out about 40 more cows and added them to the group of springers across the road. Once we got back to the sheds and unloaded calves, I had to drive to town quick before they closed at 5 PM for some farm supplies from Farmlands. On my way home from the farm after dropping off the supplies and taking some last pictures I stopped to check for new calves in paddock 13. There were 4 new calves that I could see so I tagged the 2 heifer calves and also wrote down their mothers so it is easier to sort out which calves go with which cows in the morning.
David, the feeder at Ashton, and I
Rhox (left), myself, and Bong (right)
Becs and I
Sam and I
My last night in New Zealand was a quite night of supper with Josh and Becs, followed by some packing. I wonder when it will hit me that I am actually leaving tomorrow...

Wednesday, August 15, 2012
I woke up rather early this morning as I couldn’t sleep. I finished packing and then had enough time to post my second to last blog before leaving. Becs drove me to the small airport of Napier. She waited until we heard the call for me to board my flight, said our goodbyes, and before I knew it I was in the air on my way to Auckland at 3 PM. My flight from Napier arrived in rainy Auckland on time and the one in LA left Auckland at 7:30 PM. The flight was 12 hours but we landed in LA at 1 PM still today…longest day of my life! I only slept 3 hours at the most though on this flight, hoping that I would sleep well when I got home.

I made it through customs without a hitch and 2 hours later I was on my last flight back to the twin cities, which arrived a little before 11 PM. Waiting at the airport for me were Mom, Dad, and my wonderful friend Jenn with her daughter Mara. It was the perfect greeting!

Its 2 AM Thursday and I am still not asleep so I decided to write this last entry. The fact that I am home has not sunk in entirely yet but the feeling hit me in the middle of my long flight to LA. Honestly when I look back it feels like New Zealand never happened, like all I have are the memories of people, places, and experiences…I blinked when I arrived and then it was time to go home. There were definitely some tougher days but I would not trade any of them after my stay…and now it is time to get back to reality. I will miss how life felt a little slower paced when I was in New Zealand compared to the US. These next two weeks will flip a 180° circle on me: from working on a farm in New Zealand to moving into an apartment and beginning my first year of veterinary school at UW-Madison. I am excited to move forward in life now, grateful that I took the opportunity of a lifetime to get out and see what the rest of the world has to offer. Again, thank you to all of my family, friends, and everyone in New Zealand who helped to make this incredible opportunity a reality and made my stay unforgettable.

Cheers!  
Jenn


No comments:

Post a Comment